Tuesday, May 20, 2008

DIY: Picture Frame

Framing art work can sometimes be more expensive than the art work itself.
Our place is slowly coming together. All the major pieces are in place. You can have all the furniture, but it can still feel unfinished. A house is not a home till it's filled with items that are familiar, treasured, and comforting. Our walls desperately need some attention.

I'm not a big fan of buying mass produced artwork. It's impersonal and generic. I don't want to see the same picture at somebody else's place. Original artwork can cost well up to the thousands. So, make your own! You don't have to be an artist to create your own artwork. An easy way to create a focal point on a wall is having multiples of one thing. Repetition is one of my favorite design principals.
"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

I'm not much of a painter, so I opted for photography. I walked around my neighborhood with a camera in hand and just take pictures of yellow things. I photoshopped the pictures to black and white, and allow only the yellow things to come through. They were printed at Kinko's for $1 each on regular paper.

The frames I made are 19"x18". This size frame will cost at least $40 at a store.
Four of them will cost me $160 plus tax. I bought a sheet of 4'x8' 1/2" MDF board from Home Depot for $20, seven 10'x2" moulding for $2.49 ea, and a quart of white paint for $9.89. Total is under $50. It will give me (1) 2.5'x6', (1) 2'x4', and (4) 1.5'x1.5' frames.





No comments: