Monday, May 12, 2008

DIY: Accent Pillow



When furnishing a home, all the little items add up pretty quick. I'm always trying to think of ways to save as much as possible. Certain things you have to splurge on, like a good quality couch, a nice TV, or a comfortable bed. But there are things you can save on. A good way to save money is to make it yourself. Have you checked out the accent pillows and throws aisle lately? A 18"x18" pillow costs at least $19 at Target up to $89 at Room and Board.

Making of the pillow: First I bought a yard of decorative fabric from Needle Shop for $9. One yard of fabric at 54"W can make me FOUR one sided pillows. I'm using another yard of grey cotton twill fabric that was left over from the drapes I'm making (stay tuned!). I got those at a discounted price of $3.50/yard. For the infill of the pillow, Ikea sells 16"x16" infills for only $2.99. Together with some thread, you get this for about $6/ea.




No comments: